What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid is the help offered to a person who develops a mental health problem or crisis. The first aid is given until the best treatment is received or until the crisis resolves.
Why Mental Health First Aid?
- Mental health problems are common.
- Stigma is associated with mental health problems.
- Many people are not well informed about mental health problems.
- Professional help is not always on hand.
- People often do not know how to respond.
- People with mental health problems often do not seek help.
Why Mental Health First Aid Training?
Mental Health First Aid Certification teaches community members:
- Signs & symptoms of a mental health crisis.
- What to do when a crisis is identified.
- What to say to help those in crisis.
- What not to say to those in crisis
- Where to refer people who are seeking help.
Mental Health First Aid Certification
Mental health Certification Training includes discussion and exercises on the following:
- Understanding Depression
- Non Suicidal Injury
- Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors
- Understanding Anxiety Disorders & Panic Attacks
- Substance Use Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Psychotic Disorders
- Understanding Schizophrenia